Let's Look At This Logically
You knew your beloved Ostrich Killer would step up and figure this out for the rest of the world, didn't you? Okay, you were right. So for the folks who never read this blog, here is how things are:
First, we have Roger Goodell saying to the best of his knowledge, before Monday no one in the NFL Commissioner's office received or had seen the tape we've all seen now.
Next, we have a 'police official' saying that he sent the tape to the NFL Commissioner's office, and he plays a 12-second tape of a conversation that he says proves someone - a female - in the commissioner's office had watched it.
Here are the choices:
1. Both are lying. This is actually impossible, as a moment's thought will make obvious. So let's reject this possibility.
2. The 'police official' is lying. If so, then the taped phone conversation is also a fake.
3. Roger Goodell is lying.
4. Neither is lying.
Your Ostrich Killer is coming down on the side of saying that the truth lies behind door number 4 - neither is lying.
Why? Goodell is an honorable person, based solely on his record. One has to assume that a police official would also be honorable. So if both are being truthful, what actually happened?
Someone in the NFL Commissioner's office short-stopped that video. And my money is on the guess that this person is the source of the video that wound up in the hands of TMZ, probably for a high price.
Anyone who has ever worked in a large organization knows perfectly well that information does not always flow freely, due either to negligence or agenda-polishing - an agenda such as lining one's pockets, as is likely in this case.
There you have it. When this is all sorted out, here is what you will see:
1. A person in the NFL Commissioner's office will be identified as the person who failed either purposely or negligently to forward that video to Roger Goodell. That person will be fired. Anyone else in the commissioner's office who knew of the video will be fired. The head of that particular department in the commissioner's office will be fired.
2. Roger Goodell, being honorable, will offer his resignation because a leader is responsible for all an organization's successes and failures. It is not a sure thing that the owners will accept his resignation. If he did not lie, where is his failure?
3. TMZ will raise their advertising rates.
See? Simple. Three cups of coffee is a true clarifier. You're welcome.