Hungary, 1956. Czechoslovakia, 1968. Afghanistan, 1979.
And now, in 2014, Ukraine.
What are the lessons?
1. The Soviet Union is dead, but Russia is still Russia.
2. Russia can invade and the west will wring their hands and sit on their asses.
3. It doesn't matter what the nations bordering Russia WANT as their government; it only matters what Russia wants for them to have.
4. The west can no longer be trusted help any struggle for freedom.
5. The Russians know this, and are going to take advantage of our Anointed One's foreign policy illiteracy to attempt to rebuild the Soviet empire. Ukraine is the breadbasket of Europe - so where better to start?
6. Our Charismatic Ruler and his Alfred E. Neuman-like lickspittle enablers will continue to disarm America unilaterally, without regard to global threats, to below pre-WW2 levels so that even if we'd like to help, we won't be able to. Even the defense of our shores and cities may not be feasible soon.
I'm beginning to believe our founding fathers fatally over-estimated the intelligence of the American electorate. The evidence is overwhelming.
I need another cup of coffee.